Our MACC BLITZ CAMPAIGN continues! Professional and courteous communication with our state leaders. We are informing and educating leaders about Common Core State Standards, stating our opposition, asking for a complete repeal/full stop to implementation and asking for their position. We start the campaign with the Education committee members of the House and Senate, then moving to our Senators, Governor and DOE.
Introducing Rep. PAUL MARQUART and Rep. LINDA SLOCUM!!! Rep. Marquart (DFL, D-4B) is the Democratic lead, Chair for the Education Finance committee and serves on the Education Policy committee. Rep. Slocum (DFL, D-50A) is the Vice Chair for the Education Finance committee. Let’s find out Paul and Linda’s position on Common Core! You may comment on this post, if desired, to let us know about your conversation. Choose your own mode of communication. We CAN make a great impact when we work together!!!
NOTE: When calling your legislator, do not be concerned about whether or not you get everything said “just right”. It will be more effective if it does not sound “canned.” The biggest factor will be the volume of calls which translates into votes for or against the legislator and our cause. Call early and, if you can, call again or use another mode of communication.
Using the guide below, keep your calls short and to the point. You will most likely talk with an aid. Offer to provide detailed documentation for the legislator if they are interested and someone to meet with them at their convenience. You do not have to meet them, unless you desire. We can meet with them. Let them know about our group, Minnesotans Against Common Core. Have some fun and know that this IS important!!!
Always be cordial and pleasant and “smile when you dial”. Always thank them for listening and assure them that you or someone else will follow up. Common Core will be an issue at District caucuses!
Representative Paul Marquart’s Information:
Phone: 651-296-6829 or 800-709-0578
Legislative Assistant: Joe Gould 651-296-5380
Address: Representative Paul Marquart, 209 State Office Bldg., 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55155
Facebook: Paul Marquart ”Like” his facebook page and let’s dribble our info on Common Core
Representative Linda Slocum’s Information:
Legislative Assistant: Michael Mollner, 651-296-5489
Address: Same as above per Rep. Linda Slocum
Facebook: “Like” Linda Slocum and let’s dribble information on her facebook page
Common Core Telephone Call Guide/E-mail or Mail Template
“Hello, this is _________________________, and I’m concerned about our state’s education programs. I am a voter in the ________________ District and I object to the Common Core State Standards and loss of Local Control.
“What is Representative Erickson’s (or if you are speaking with Rep Erickson – YOUR) position on this?” If against, encourage and support. Most likely, they are wanting additional information or may be in favor out of ignorance. If so, then…) ((In no particular order – you may have other concerns)). I, as a citizen, had no knowledge of Common Core Standards until recently.
“I will explain VERY briefly why I am against implementing Common Core Standards.
* It is a loss of Local Control, that removes the voice of parents, teachers, principals, and School Boards. I believe in parents and teachers making decisions about our schools.
* Common Core is unconstitutional and goes against the 10th amendment and three federal laws. Again, from a legal standpoint, Common Core is against our laws and Constitution.
* Costs are estimated to be $16 billion with 90% paid by the states and we may have NO say in what’s being taught, when standards are copyrighted.
* The data tracking requirement from prenatal to workforce is an intrusive violation of the privacy rights of our children and their parents.
* The standards themselves are a deliberate dumbing down of our children as shown by performance scores that have steadily deteriorated since the inception of the Department of Education.
* The standards are so low that the two educators on the Common Core Standards Validation Committee refused to sign off.
Appreciate everyone “doing their part” by informing our state leaders!